Wednesday, March 3, 2010

What is in a thick coating of dust on everything after ripping out old cabinets in kitchen & bath, floors,.?

counters, etc and repainting. I feather dusted it and started coughing and couldn't stop for hours and next day still bothering me some..what is the dust that was everwhere no matter how far away and is in it and is it dangerous to breath?What is in a thick coating of dust on everything after ripping out old cabinets in kitchen %26amp; bath, floors,.?
I am an Interior Painter in Massachusetts. The thick coating of dust you are most likely inhaling is made of joint compound and wall board particles (usually has some Crystalline Silica) and these particles are very small, can cause coughing and do travel far.

I have also noticed that an excess of mildew can create a shortness of breath and even a closing of the throat.

The best solution I know of during demolition and installation is to have a pro come and do the job. If you are Do-It-Yourself-er, wear a mask at least or get a respirator. Further, both a pro and DIY'er need to ';work clean.'; That means clean and vacuum after each cycle as well as put plastic on the archways to the rest of the house.

Now if your house is an older one there may even be asbestos. I understand that asbestos is a cancer causing agent and should be removed by a pro in that field.

Now the fact that you are coughing means that this dust is dangerous to your health. Coughing a way the body tries to clean itself at times.

If you are feeling better now, get a mask and clean your house well with a dusting cloth and vacuum. Shake out the cloth and empty the vacuum outdoors frequently as you clean. In this way you are removing the dust from your home and getting it outside.

If you are not feeling well yet, talk with you doctor about your health and hire a cleaner for cleaning your house until you are feeling better.

Thank you for your time,

resnickpaint@comcast.netWhat is in a thick coating of dust on everything after ripping out old cabinets in kitchen %26amp; bath, floors,.?
will be missed. I also have allergic rhinitis and allergy to mold..the sink was leaking for some time so mold may have been released..the tightening of chest and constriction and difficulty taking a deep breathe scared me..

Report Abuse

unsure if from this or wreck but probably both. This is a subsidized apartment where everything is done as cheaply as possible and often repairs jury rigged..I imagine they may have gotten a careless crew.

Report Abuse

They lied and said stuff would be covered but I saw open door when I got mail and no tarps except over a foot by edge..(we had to leave 4 days and then return--

Report Abuse

locked were changed while we were gone). Thank you for all your details and cleaning suggestions. If you have any further info or feel this silica is dangerous to my health, please email me..thanks to all SO MUCH!!!

Report Abuse

The dust was probably from what had settled over the years and partly from decomposing glues ect. Your best bet is to dust and vacume your house very well. DO NOT use a feather duster as it only spreads the dust. Damp dust only...meaning use a damp rag to collect the dust and rinse it out often. You will most likely have to do this several times a week to get results as dust is everywhere. Who knows what the dust is composed of since glues are commonly used to in flooring.
Because behind and under cupboards and baths the dust keeps building up. it was the same when i put my shower in
%26lt;%26gt;Dust raised by demolition is never good to breath. Besides the risk of asbestos, there are dozens of possible dangers lurking: molds, hantaviruses (from mouse and rat droppings), and various insect-borne diseases, just to name a few. It is strongly recommended that anyone working in such an environment wear a respirator mask at all times.
  • lipstick shades
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment